"the charm's wound up"
a wicked work in progress
Saturday September 20, 8pm
The Art Barn (sTudio 7 Gallery)
Rockaway Center for the Arts
Fort Tilden, Queens
$10 suggested donation
(Join us for an evening swim afterwards!)
(click image for slide show)
For Dzieci's chamber version of Macbeth,
the ensemble has learned all of the lines,
of every part, through a process of oral transmission.
In our rehearsals, and in production, we do not know
who will be playing any given role at any given time.
As presented by a traveling family of Gypsies,
the hour-long performance creates
the impression of a ritual or ceremony.
A very dark ceremony.
Employing haunting folk songs and chants
from Scandinavia and Eastern Europe,
Theatre Group Dzieci explores (and explodes),
the very essence of theatre and storytelling
in their one-act rendition of Shakespeares classic.
6 Rules of Engagement:
- Actors must know the entire text.
- Actors may not play the same role in successive sequences.
- Actors are encouraged to play a Witch, Makbet, and Lady Makbet at least once per enactment.
- Roles can be offered or stolen.
- We begin in ceremony and return to ceremony at the end.
- Nothing else is planned.
a slide show from Dzieci Makbet
Makbet reviewed in The Wave
an article describing Dzieci's process
(480kb pdf file)
for more information
call 718 638 6037
or e-mail us